Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Captain Sobel

Before I really start in on blasting the bad leaders I had the opportunity to serve with during the last six years, I want to be the first to admit that I am in no way the ideal leader or even a very good leader-manager.  But I am self-critical and I want to get better and I think that's a pretty good place to start.

When I decided to attend the Air Force Academy I thought I was already a pretty good leader.  Not that a 17-year-old high school punk has any idea what leadership is, but I had always been bossy (just ask my little brother) and I was the president of a couple academic clubs and a team captain since I was a sophomore.  So, yea, I thought I could handle the whole leadership thing at the Academy.


And for the most part I did.  I didn't excel, but I learned that I suck at delegation (still do) and that being real and honest with folks is the best policy.


As graduation approached, however, I was flooded by warnings (both welcome and unwelcome) as to the best approach to being a good maintenance officer.  


Now, this is one of those careers they use to scare you at the Academy.  That and being a cop boss.  Your commanders and instructors say, "Oh, you'll be in charge of 98% of the USAF and you'll have no experience blah blah blah."


I knew they meant this as a good-natured warning and to prevent you from becoming that guy, but all I could think of was Captain Sobel.



Video clip:  What a cadet!

If you are not familiar with Captain Sobel, he is that guy.


He's the guy my dad (a Vietnam Vet) told me not to be.  He would always remind me not to be that West Pointer talking shit or the Grad who knows it all.  And you know what?  Dads are always right.  ALWAYS LISTEN TO YOUR DAD.


More specifically, Captain Sobel was out for himself and tried too hard to follow the textbook.  He was a caricature of leadership.  He would scream and then come up with punishments that made little sense and all while single-handedly destroy morale.  Bottom-line?  He was going to get people killed.  Or the guys were going to kill him (Vietnam).


Even after four years of trying not to be Captain Sobel I still referred to his leadership lessons when I pinned on Captain.  And yes, I was forced to have a promotion party.  I hate that crap.


I was always told that you learn just as much from the bad leaders as you do the good.  Well then let me tell you, I learned a ton.  A TON!


So in conclusion, I am by no means a Lieutenant (to Major) Winters although I wish I was a Nazi-killing badass sometimes.  I doubt I was even entirely effective most of the time.  I just hope I was never a Captain Sobel.

No comments:

Post a Comment